Are you new to podcasting? Have you never interviewed anyone on your podcast? Going into your first interview, you want to make sure that the conversation with your guest is informative and entertaining to your audience. Pull out all of those juices details that they want to hear about.
Randy King is a communications professional with a focus on basketball blogging, radio production, and podcasting. He has worked in a variety of news settings, including everything from web-based blogs and podcasts to traditional outlets such as radio stations and print publications. Today he shares his top 7 questions you should ask your guest on your podcast.
One of the most important things to remember is that your interview shouldn’t just be a list of questions that you ask your guest – that will sound too forced. The episode should feel like a natural conversation. Listen to your guest and ask follow up questions and really respond to what they are saying.
With that in mind, it is good to prepare a list of questions you can refer to during the interview. Tailor these questions to your guest and topic, and you will be good to go:
- Where did you grow up? What was your childhood like, and how did it effect who you are now?
- What is the biggest misconception people have about you / your work / your field?
- What is one of the biggest challenges you have faced in your life?
- Who is someone that you look up to and has influenced your path in life?
- What inspires you?
- What is the most important lessons that you have learned in life and how is your life different now that you know?
- What is the best advice someone has ever given you (about life / career / etc)?