It seems like everyone has a blog these days, and that is for a good reason. Not only can blogging be a great creative outlet, but you have a chance to share what you do with the world, and possibly turn your blog into an income stream. If you’ve never had a blog before though, how do you actually get started?
Randy King is a communications professional with a focus on basketball, blogging, radio production, and podcasting. He works in a variety of settings, including everything from web-based blogs and podcasts to traditional outlets such as radio stations and print publications. He shares his tips for people looking to start their own blog.
Choose your blog name, get a domain, and pay for a hosting service. Free hosting services sound great. Who doesn’t love free stuff? It does, however, have a lot of downsides. The biggest downside is that you don’t actually own your blog by going with a free host. All of your hard work could suddenly get deleted. Make the investment and pay for a hosting service.
- Just start writing. Don’t overthink it too much, or you’ll never get started! Your writing will get better as time goes on, so don’t worry about everything being super perfect right from the beginning.
- Utilize social networks. This will help you connect to your readers in different ways, get feedback, and drive more traffic to your website.
- Stick to a niche. This is good in terms of SEO and it will help you stand out. You’ll also want to learn as much as possible about SEO and how to optimize your website.
- Use high quality images. These will captivate your readers visually and make your blog look more professional.
- Build an email list from the start, and send out regular newsletters.